Quick post today. Below see a picture of some rye whiskey I made last fall. Each bottle has been aging at cask strength (140 proof) for one year on wood chips, from left to right: hickory, apple, light American oak. The fall season in Alberta is very short, and the harvest a very busy time. I can't think of a better way than to enjoy the fall's bounty than with a drop of whiskey.
Hello all, with the end of the summer right around the corner I've been busy with getting the kids ready for a new school year, the inevitable busy September at work, and learning definitively how not to make apple cider (that's another post that I'll be making as soon as I've dealt with my experience and am able to speak of it in positive, or at least objective, terms). In the meantime, lets talk rum. If you're starting out distilling, rum is one easy to make but deceptively difficult to master. To be honest, all you need is some sugar, molasses, yeast, nutrient, and a plastic primary fermenter. Simple, right? Yes! Where the difficulty lays is developing a distilled product with the depth of taste that you can get from a good store-bought rum but lacks in your home made product. More on that in a later post though, let's just get you going for now. First of all, let's start with a recipe. I find the following works well for me, as the ingredients ar...
Comments
Post a Comment